Friday 24 July 2015

AFRICA DOWN UNDER

With A Colonial Twist

A couple of months ago it was decided that some of my family from Australia would be coming over for a summer holiday (lets hope they bring back the sunshine), they asked me to make them a quilt reflecting our African roots but that wouldn't look out of place in the classic, colonial style decor of the intended room. Being more of a reload than retreat kind of gal, I accepted the challenge and whilst I have still got a way to go, I thought you might just like to see my progress so far.....



small selection of African fabrics

My first thought was how am I going to mix these two rather different themes together? Starting with the obvious I went in search of African style fabrics, being careful not to make it to cliche I opted for small, fairly broad prints, in mostly neutral colors. My thinking was that I would use them in small doses, more as an accent rather than the feature, and use traditional block layouts and designs to bring the elements together.



I just love this block, it is one from the Modern Quilting Bee book I have blogged about before, but in case you missed that post, you can find it here. Surprisingly it comes together really quickly and with some fussy cutting the whole design can totally change.












 I have done and am continuing to do a lot of research for this project, part of the fun for me is in researching different ideas and trying something new, there are an infinite number of blocks and combinations out there to choose from, some of which seem impossible but as I said earlier "reload not retreat". I do so love a challenge and to push my skill set, so on occasion madness strikes me and I will try to make something I have seen without having a pattern for it....going old school with graph paper and a pencil!! Don't get me wrong I am in no ways a pro (yet) but this time I struck it lucky and the block worked.



The aforementioned picture








The finished result

You can never beat some classic log cabin either so I threw some of that into the mix as well. You may notice the African twist in there, although in terms of general color I have tried to keep it calm and neutral with a few accent shades to lift the blocks and bring the two themes together. I am not quite sure if it is working but I am pleased with what I have done so far, all the points and joins meet where they should so right now I am winning!!




I haven't exactly decided on a layout for this quilt, or where to place the blocks, however as I previously said I do so love a challenge, so below is a photo of the 2025 squares all 1 1/2 inches in size that I have cut out.....Kerry Q refused to help me, but whatever could they be for?? I am afraid you will just have to wait and see.



The point where madness set in


Happy Quilting
Kerry xx







1 comment:

  1. Looks absolutely gorgeous so far, dying to see the end result Kel!!

    ReplyDelete