Tuesday 29 April 2014

APPLIQUE BABY!

The Magic Of Bonda-Web

I haven't had much quilting mojo the last few days, I lost a friend to the angels over the weekend and whilst it wasn't entirely unexpected, it still took the wind out of my sails abit. It made me think about the circle of life, Caroline's may have ended, but life is just beginning for my friends new baby. Caroline had a huge personality and an even bigger heart, I decided I should really put on my big girl pants and get this quilt moving.

So applique letters here we come....




The first step was to measure the size of the block the letters were going on to - in this case 12 1/2 unfinished, this then allowed me to draw the letters to the correct size in Bonda-Web and ironed them onto my chosen fabrics.





The most important thing at this stage is remembering to iron the Bonda-Web letters on to the wrong side of the fabric, this will ensure that the fabric letters are the correct way around when placed on the blocks.




The final step of this machine applique process is of course the machine stitching! This could be done by hand in many forms such as needle turn or blanket stitch, but I decided that for this particular pattern I would use satin stitch and my machine! 




I chose to use a King Tut integrating thread for blues and greens to lift the letters up....




With all of the letters done B-A-B-Y, it was time to turn 12 blocks into 4 rows of 3 and 1 quilt top for a tiny person.




Happy Quilting
Kerry xx







3 comments:

  1. This is coming on really well! Make sure you post a pic of the finished article so that we can all admire it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. I do understand the wind getting let out of the sails. Takes such a long while getting used to the new way of things afterwards.

    Baby's looking good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Jeifer, it is true yes it will just take some time. I am glad you liked the quilt so far, what did you think of the finished piece?

      Delete